Frequently Asked Questions
We have an extensive database of frequently asked questions and recommend that you look there in the first instance. If you cannot find an answer please submit your question through that interface and we’ll answer you as soon as possible.
The Uganda Institute of information and Communications Technology (UICT) is a government tertiary institution established by the Ministry of Education & Sports under the Statutory Instrument 2005 No. 79. The Institute is under the Ministry of Information and Communications Technology and National Guidance (MoICT & NG), directly managed and operated by the Uganda Communications Commission (UCC) as provided in the Uganda Communications Act of 2013 as amended. The Institute is accredited by the National Council for Higher Education (NCHE).
UICT currently offers internationally recognized diplomas and certificate courses in ICT, Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Telecom Engineering, Business Management, and other Short Specialized Courses and Professional Certifications with curricula that focus on workplace requirements, soft skills, and specialized ICT training that meet both national and international standards.
Day sessions: Monday to Friday, 8:30 am – 1 pm
Evening Sessions: Monday to Friday, 4 pm – 6 pm (during curfew) and 5:30 pm – 9:30 pm (without curfew)
Weekend Sessions: Saturday and Sunday, 8:30 am – 5:30 am
Two Intakes a year: March intake and August intake
TO ENROL ON DIPLOMA PROGRAMMES:
A student must have at least UCE (O-level) with at least 5 passes and UACE (A- level) with at least one principal pass and two subsidiary passes in relevant subjects or recognized certificate
To enroll for Higher Education Certificate (HEC), a student must have passed UACE with at least two subsidiary passes (or one principle pass) in relevant subjects
UBTEB certificates: UCE (O-level) with at least 3 passes in any subject
- UICT is a government tertiary Institution that specializes in building technical, problem-solving, and market-driven ICT skills training.
- UICT is among the pioneer institutions of higher learning that introduced a 1 YEAR HIGHER EDUCATION CERTIFICATES (HEC) programme an intensive programme intended for students who have successfully completed the Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education (UACE) or its equivalent but who may not have attained sufficient grades to enroll for Diplomas or Degree programmes.
- UICT has reviewed her existing diploma programmes to reflect the current market and national needs as well as incorporating competency-based teaching & learning in her programmes. UICT has also developed new programmes to support the national digital transformation and building of a knowledge economy which include both academic long programmes and short professional courses such as Diploma in Software Engineering, Diploma in Electronics and Communication Engineering, Diploma in Data Science, Management and Analytics, Diploma in e-Governance and Digital Transformation, Diploma in Business and Financial Technology and Diploma in Media and Communication Studies, etc.
- UICT houses infrastructure for supporting ICT innovators and ICT innovation in the name of the National Innovation ICT Hub. The Institute on behalf of the Ministry of ICT and National Guidance (MoICT & NG) manages the National Innovation ICT Hub, which provides our students with the opportunity to nurture their ideas into bankable proposals and marketable projects.
UICT has embraced Open Distance and e-Learning (ODel) through a locally built Learning Management System and a Virtual Classroom System through which the services can be accessed by students virtually and physically
- UICT, therefore, adopted a blended approach to learning where both physical and online classes are offered.
- Embarking on implementation of digital classrooms including amongst others computers, projectors, interactive whiteboards, augmented. Virtual and mixed reality to provide students with a better experience and understanding of abstract concepts
- Implementation of campus-wide internet connectivity through hotspots to enable students to access online content
- UICT designed and installed five (5) state-of-the-art specialized laboratories with the support of UCC to ensure specialized skills practical teaching and learning to address the ICT solution gaps in the country. These are; Telecom Optical Lab, Electronics Lab, Electrical Lab, Multimedia Lab, and VUE Lab.
Please, follow these steps to apply online:
- Open a web browser and type admissions.uict.ac.ug
- SIGNUP using your Full Name, E-mail, and Mobile Phone Number. (Please note that your name must be similar to the one on your supporting academic documents for your application to be considered valid).
- A password will be sent to both your e-mail and mobile phone number.
- The system will prompt you to change the password to the one you can easily remember.
- Login and to fill a form, click on the APPLY NOW button displayed on the running scheme.
- Once all details are filled, click SUBMIT FORM.
- Attach your scanned Academic documents by clicking on attach files. (Please note that the system will not allow you to proceed to payments if you have not attached your academic documents)
- Obtain a payment advice slip by clicking on the ePay for Form button
- Use the generated reference number to pay a non-refundable fee of UGX 30,000/- in Stanbic Bank any branch/ Agent or use mobile money (MTN or Airtel). (If you find challenges in generating a reference number, pay directly in Stanbic Bank or their Agent using a payslip in the names of Uganda Institute of Information and Communications Technology; A/C No: 9030005844494 and take the payslip to the Academic Registrar’s office to update your online form with payment.)
- Wait for admission which is communicated on the Institute website, Noticeboards, and your email address and/or SMS sent to your phones.
Thank you for choosing the Uganda Institute of Information and Communications Technology (UICT)!
Please visit the website and download the brochure corresponding to the course you would like to study. Tuition details are reflected on the brochure.
Currently, only payment through the bank is active. All payments are made through generating zeepay reference number from student portal accounts as indicated in the question above
All students are advised not to make any cash payments to any staff. All payments are made through the systems in place.
UICT has a hostel facility at an affordable fee of UGX600, 000 per semester
UICT IS Located on Plot 9-21 Port Bell Road, Nakawa; Next to Makerere University Business School (MUBs); Opposite Capital shoppers Nakawa.
Contact Academic Registrar’s office at the Institute OR 0773-304140, 0701-505173 &