This Diploma Programme is intended for students who are interested in technical career opportunities to do with installation, operation, and maintenance of electrical and electronics devices and equipment.
Mechanical, electrical and electronics engineering is now integrated due to the development of electronics and software. There is increased demand for the use of ICT and sensitive automated equipment which operate on electrical power.
Conventional electrical engineering involves generation, transmission, distribution and manufacture of electrical equipment. There is need for installation, operation, maintenance and repair of the devices and equipment. With the fast advancement in technology, many of these have become obsolete, and this therefore means we have to change to the new technologies.
The new technologies also pose problems of safety and we need to dispose them off. There is demand for knowledgeable, experienced and skilled technicians in both electrical and electronics fields. These technicians can be employed in electrical and electronics industries. The Department of ICT and Engineering has collaborations with industrial training organisations using modern expensive industrial equipment. These include companies involved in; generation, transmission and distribution of power, and construction companies in industrial area.
There will be two intakes [March and August] for every academic year; and students shall be admitted to the Programme on four sessions/options; Day, Evening, Weekend and Open Distance e-Learning [ODeL].
- a) This diploma programme will prepare students to be technicians with knowledge and skills in installation, operation, and maintenance of electrical and electronic devices and equipment.
- b) There is also a need to go for further studies bachelor’s degrees in electrical and electronics engineering.
The objectives of this programme are to:
- Enable students to understand electronics and electrical concepts and principles.
- Prepare students to install, operate and maintain electronic and electrical systems in homes and industry.
- Prepare students to design and implement basic electronic and electrical systems.
- Equip the students with knowledge and skills to operate and maintain electronic control systems in homes and in the industry.
- Equip students with entrepreneurship skills to set up, manage and maintain electronics and workshops.
- Prepare students to be creative and innovative and come up with engineering solutions.
Programme Learning Outcomes
At the end of this Programme students should be able to:
- Explain electronics and electrical concepts and principles.
- Install, operate and maintain electronic and electrical systems in homes and industry.
- Design and implement basic electronic and electrical systems.
- Operate and maintain electronic control systems in homes and in the industry.
- Use entrepreneurship skills to set up, manage and maintain electronics and workshops.
- Be creative and innovative and come up with engineering solutions.
- a) Direct Entry:
Students entry through A’ level must have at least One Principal pass in Mathematics or Physics, two subsidiaries at an advanced level of education one of which must be in the principal subject and at least five passes with at least a credit in Mathematics or Physics at ordinary level in one sitting or its equivalent.
- b) Certificate Entry:
A relevant Certificate from a recognized institution of higher learning with a credit or its
- c) Mature Age Entry
A candidate must be at least 25 years old and above and score 50 % and above in mature age examination from an NCHE-recognized center.
- d) A Higher Education Certificate (HEC)
A candidate must have passed a relevant HEC accredited by NCHE with at least a Class III (Pass).